1 down, 2 to go...We are extremely pleased to say that thanks to our amazing Mackay community we have secured the first Sleepbus for the Mackay region.
Why do we know we need to make this investment for our community?
- There is a very limited supply of crisis accommodation for women in Mackay. One accommodation provider accommodates on average around 50 women and 10 children over a 12-month period. Approximately 20% of their clients identify as Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander and 15% are one of the fastest growing homeless demographics, single women aged 56 or older. Sadly, for the 12 month period ending 31 March 2023, the provider had requests / referrals from third party agencies for accommodation for 113 women, and for 51 accompanying children, that could not be met!
- In Sarina there is a limited supply of accommodation. One agency has 670 people on their housing wait list. The Sarina Neighbourhood Centre has 2 out of every 5 community members presenting to appointments with the job network providers have indicated rental leases coming to an end with no new residences to move into. With 1 out of 3 community members utilising the centre are living in over crowed housing. 2 out of 5 services users have indicated they have taken substandard or sight unseen premises just to have accommodation.
Some of the many benefits that come with having a Sleepbus;
- Assist with current housing crisis, as all community housing providers do not have the capacity to meet increasing demands.
- Safe and secure accommodation
- Improved health outcomes both physical and mental well being
- Crime prevention benefits as the person is safe, and won’t become a victim of crime, reducing the impact on police resources, hospitals, and other social services to provide support.
- Providing a good nights’ sleep increases employment opportunities, and job retention.
Help us to secure a Sleepbus for Mackay, QLD!
In response to the current housing crisis, Safe Sleep Mackay (SSM) formed to deliver short term solutions, for people without a safe place to sleep. Members of our group are proactive, experienced and have current roles within renowned local organisations which assist people experiencing homelessness.
Immediate action is required: Mackay is in the midst of a housing crisis with homelessness numbers growing rapidly. Recently many of our members have noted up to a 50% increase in demand on already stretched services.
We believe that we should all be the change we wish to see.
If you want to do something about people sleeping on the street, start with one thing. SLEEP.
When a person gets access to a safe place to sleep, things can change quickly. It can improve mental and physical health, decrease associated medical expenses and help make a pathway out of homelessness a little easier to see.
Sleepbus is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 2016. The organisation transforms buses into a secure sleeping facility for people experiencing homelessness. Each sleepbus can provide up to 20 people each night with a secure sleep in twin bed pods. The pods all contain a toilet, air conditioner, usb charger, reading light, and a TV with local support services channel. The sleepbus service is completely free for all guests with operational expenses supported via donations and corporate sponsorships.
How does Sleepbus work? Each night, the Sleepbus will arrive at its dedicated location. Guests will be onboarded to have a safe, quality sleep. In the morning they will then exit the bus before it departs back to its depot for servicing for its’ next shift. Sleepbus can be utilised by anyone who is willing to sleep peacefully.
Please donate before 31 March 2023 so we can lock in
the delivery of a SleepBus for Mackay!
Whether you’re able to donate $2 or $1000, it all moves us forward in the right direction.
Thank you to my Sponsors
Gambling Community Benefit Fund
Mackay Community Foundation
Mackay Regional Council
Run For Mi Life
Macrossen Amiet Charitable Foundation
Port Of Mackay Rotary Club
Bhp Benefiting My Community Program
Bma Benefiting My Community
Soroptomist International Mackay
C3 Church Mackay
Stephen Andrew (mp)
Mackay North State School
St Mary's Catholic
Kutta Mulla Gorinna School
Kerrin & Shane Bonser
Hair N Beauty @ Sams
Kathleen Angus Rosetta
The Carpet House Floorzon
Coburn Motor Trimmers
G & J Tetley
4 The Streets
Tracy De Giovanni